A rye sweetened lightly with dried cranberries. Mixed in the bread machine then baked in the oven. Optional but really tasty in this bread is nigella ( ni-JELL-uh ) also known as black onion seeds/kalonji/calonji/ habasoda/ketza/Better known as black caraway. This has a subtle flavor that's often used to enhance vegetable dishes.
- Place all ingredients except seeds and cranberries in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Select dough cycle and start machine. Add the seeds and caraway when the machine beeps.
- At end of cycle take dough out and punch dough down; divide into half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Place loaves on greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush each loaf with egg. Sprinkle with rye seeds if desired. Bake until loaves are dark brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 1 hour; cool on wire racks.