Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
There are so many versions of this salad. This is one of the simplest Russian salads. I do not think I know anybody who didn't like this salad after they tried it. I believe every Russian lady knows how to cook this one in her own way. Here is my version of this traditional Russian salad.
- Boil potatoes and eggs, let cool.
- Shred potatoes and eggs using hand grinder or cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- Dice bologna, cucumbers and/or pickles as well as apple. (pill apple beforehand).
- Drain the can of peas.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well adding salt, pepper and mayonnaise as needed.
- Move well mixed salad into a large serving bowl.
- Note: if you prefer creamier salad, shred your ingredients, if you prefer to taste each ingredient in your salad cut them. I prefer shredding, I think it tastes better and takes less time to prepare. You can also add shredded fresh or cooked carrots, as well as diced of azalea onion. I usually cook my potatoes and eggs a day before and let them stand in refrigerator. Also, if you short on time, you can make this salad a day before, but do not put mayonnaise until ready to serve.
This looks great. I can't wait to try it. It does look very close to what my Russian friends used to make.