Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is posted as I prepare to participate in Zaar's World Tour 4!
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2⁄3 cup cooked ham, cubed
- 8 ounces peas
- 8 ounces ripe olives, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Boil or steam potatoes & carrot until tender, then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, egg, onion & ham, then mix in peas & olives.
- In small bowl, combine garlic & mayo.
- Add potatoes & carrot to mixture in the large bowl, & carefully stir in the garlic/mayo mixture. Season to taste.
Made for 123 tag. Lots of layers of flavour but it works! Very tasty, welcome change to my normal potato salad.
I don't think I've ever come across a potato salad with so many ingredients additional to the potatoes, but this is evidently characteristic of Russian potato salads. This recipe offered a great combination of textures and flavours - and was also very colourful! I used a cucumber of the variety that doesn't need to be peeled (generally called Lebanese cucumbers here), and frozen peas (thawed), and kalamata olives. I added a tablespoon of Greek yoghurt to the mayonnaise as I think I may have been overly generous with the quantities of some of the ingredients and I added about 1/2 cup of fresh basil. A really flavoursome salad which constitutes a meal in itself, which would make it a great dish for picnics or potlucks - or for take-to-work lunches. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Sydney Mike. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
Love potatoes; love potato salad! The extra additions really make this salad a special meal-in-a-bowl. I used thawed frozen peas and purchased a thick slice of black forest ham at the deli counter to cut into cubes; ended up with about1 cup ham cubes so I added another couple teaspoons of mayonnaise to the dressing. Also used pimento stuffed olives because they are a family favorite. Into my favorite recipe binder it goes!