Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled grated and squeezed dry- 4 to 5 medium
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 onion
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In large bowl toss potatoes with lemon juice.
- Grate onion; squeeze out liquid and discard. Add grated onion to bowl with potatoes.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except oil.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Portion 1/4-cup measures of potato mixture into hot oil, spacing apart. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Keep hot on baking sheet in 325 degree oven. Repeat with remaining potato mixture, adding oil to skillet, as needed. Serve with applesauce, if desired.