Recipe by luisawoods
From Chef Roza Gorenuk, Russian Palace Restaurant, Chicago, Illinois, for About.com This beet borscht soup recipe with carrots, cabbage, and potatoes has authentic Russian roots. This version comes from the famous Russian Palace Restaurant in Chicago. Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, finely chopped (1 large)
- 5 medium beets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped (1 small)
- 5 teaspoons tomato paste
- 16 cups chicken stock
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and julienne raw beet to yield 4 cups.
- Peel and cube potatoes to yield 2-1/2 cups.
- Finely chop cabbage to yield 6 cups.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beets and carrot. Saute, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat.
- Add potato and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- Add reserved beet-tomato paste mixture, green pepper, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and dill.
- Serve hot.