Chef #809940's Note:
From Chef Roza Gorenuk, Russian Palace Restaurant, Chicago, Illinois, for About.com This beet borscht soup recipe with carrots, cabbage, and potatoes has authentic Russian roots. This version comes from the famous Russian Palace Restaurant in Chicago. Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, finely chopped (1 large)
- 5 medium beets
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped (1 small)
- 5 teaspoons tomato paste
- 16 cups chicken stock
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1Peel and julienne raw beet to yield 4 cups.
- 2Peel and cube potatoes to yield 2-1/2 cups.
- 3Finely chop cabbage to yield 6 cups.
- 4Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add onion and saute until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6Add beets and carrot. Saute, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.
- 7Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 8In a large stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat.
- 9Add potato and cook for 3 minutes.
- 10Add cabbage and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
- 11Add reserved beet-tomato paste mixture, green pepper, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- 12Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat. Stir in garlic and dill.
- 14Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Palace's Vegetable Borscht Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.1
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 706.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 11.1 g