1 hr 30 mins
Deep hearty flavor. Excellent recipe. Found it on the Internet-said it was adapted from Darra Goldstein's book "A Taste of Russia" Notes: 01/07/08: Barley's cooking time varies(I've had quick barley take 45 minutes to cook)so in step 6, cook until tender enough to your taste. The soup may require more liquid; I now keep a 4th can of consomme on hand to add, along with another 1 1/4 cups of water if it's getting too thick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 ounce dried mushroom (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed consomme
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 large potato, pared and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (if using regular barley instead of the quick-cooking barley, add 45 minutes to the cooking time)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 slice lemon zest
- 1If using dried mushrooms, soak them in 1/2 cup of hot water for about 20 minutes.
- 2Slice and set aside, reserving soaking water, too.
- 3Put the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven,add 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt the butter over medium heat.
- 4Saute the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- 5Stir in the consomme and water and add the potato, celery, carrots, bay leaves, dill, barley and the reconstituted mushrooms and soaking water.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste, bring the soup to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes (about an hour if using regular barley), until the barley is tender.
- 7Clean the fresh mushrooms, cut off and discard woody stem ends, and cut the smaller mushrooms in half and the larger ones into quarters.
- 8Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan and saute the mushrooms until some liquid has been yielded and no raw color shows.
- 9Stir mushrooms and liquid into the soup and simmer 5 minutes.
- 10Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- 11Just before serving, put the sour cream in a medium bowl and stir a cup or so of hot soup into it to temper it.
- 12Stir the diluted sour cream into the soup and serve immediately (don't cook the sour cream), garnished if you like with strips of lemon zest.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Mushroom and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 443.9
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.4 mg
- Sodium 911.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 16.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: