1/2 Photos of Russian Meat Solyanka
4 hrs 20 mins
Bonnie G #2's Note:
While in Russia my DH and I enjoyed all the different soups we tried there, specially in the cold winter months. One of our favorites was "Meat Solyanka - (salty)" I've been searching for it ever since we returned. I found this one on a Russian site and it comes the closest to what we wanted, though I've changed it quite a bit so it's not really authentic, we like the meat left in ours and a thicker soup than we were served and I also changed it to use my crock pot for ease. I hesitate to make this public as it's not the Beef Stew taste we are used to, but the spices give it a rich, salty, spicy taste and if you're up to trying something a little different you may like this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g stewing beef, sliced thin
- 2 small sausages
- 226.79 g ham, sliced thin
- 2 carrots, cubed small
- 1 onion, sliced small
- 1 parsley root, cubed small
- 1 pickled cucumber (I used dill pickles)
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 411.06 g can stewed tomatoes
- 118.29-236.59 ml water
- 5 mushrooms, sliced (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml flour
- 11 pitted black olives, chopped
- 14.79 ml capers
- salt & pepper
- 14.79 ml sour cream, for topping
- 1 lemon slice, for garnish
- 1Preheat a pan with oil or butter.
- 2Cut onion in thin semi rings and stir until transparent, but not browned.
- 3Cut pickled cucumbers in strips and add to onions.
- 4Add tomato paste and stir until mixed - 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add meat chopped into fine pieces (you can actually use any variety of meat you prefer, but above is what I chose to use).
- 6Add to Crock pot.
- 7Add can of stewed tomatoes and water to just the top of mixture.
- 8Cook on high for 4 hours.
- 9About 1 hour before serving add olives, mushrooms and capers.
- 10Add flour to thicken.
- 11Serve with a dollop of sour cream and lemon slice for garnish.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Meat Solyanka
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.7
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 93.1 mg
- Sodium 1150.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 31.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: