Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Cooling time before cake can be frosted is included in the cooking time.
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, strained (juice of 1/2 large lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (zest of 1/2 large lemon)
- 3 tablespoons sifted flour
- 4 tablespoons sifted potato flour
- fine dry breadcrumb, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Stir the egg yolks with the sugar until quite white.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the flours.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and shiny; stir them very slowly into the flour mixture.
- Butter two layer pans, and sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs.
- Fill with cake batter and bake for 40 minutes.
- After removing from oven, let cool for 20 minutes in the pans; then transfer to a cake rack to cool completely.
- When the the cake has cooled completely (3 hours) spread with jelly or cream frosting or wrap layers seperately in waxed paper to store for later use in desserts like Washington pie.