Recipe by stormylee
This spiced carrot salad is called "Korean carrots" throughout Russia and the former Soviet republics - I have no idea if it actually is Korean, though! I got the recipe from a friend who lived in Russia for a few years and came back with a number of mouthwatering recipes.
Top Review by Mike McCartney
I enjoyed this very much. I have been trying foods that are outside of "normal" for me, and this hit the spot. The only thing I did different was to shred about 1/3 of the carrots. Honestly, I was getting bored, and wanted to finish. Otherwise, I did everything as directed, and the next day the results were great. I really liked the pleasant, somewhat spicy after taste. Thanks you for this, and I will be making as many more of your recipes as I can. Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013.
- 1 kg carrot, finely julienned
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- chili powder, to taste
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 100 ml oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together sugar, salt, ground coriander, black pepper, garlic, chili powder, and white vinegar. Pour the mixture over the carrots and mix well.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until hot; pour over carrots and mix thoroughly.
- Allow to marinate in the fridge at least overnight.