Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Similar to the old Russian favorite, minus the eggs. Great flavor.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 5 X 9 inch loaf pan or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended. Add to dry mixture, mixing just until all ingredients ae moistened. Place mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to finish cooling.
- For best flavor, wrap cooled cake tightly and let it sit at room temperature overnight.
This turned out very moist and flavorful. I subbed dried cranberries for the raisins, and used Nutritious Flour Blend for the flour. I also used agave nectar for the honey, to make it more diabetic friendly. Will be making this again! P.S. Annacia-this is a cake, not a bread, so I think it was meant to be "low" :)
I omitted the raisins (personal choice) and added a tsp of cinnamon but other than that followed the directions. After waiting the day with it well wrapped it was lovely and moist this morning and it cut well with a small amount of crumbing. The cake has a lovely rich flavor and the orange juice is far less prominent than it was in the batter. The only suggestion for change that I would make would be to use a smaller pan. I would use an 8x4 loaf pan at the largest as it only baked up to about 1/3 the hight of the 9x5 that I used. Made for ZWT4.