Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
No beets in this one! Adapted from When the Good Cook Gardens.
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons beef base (or 4 beef bouillon cubes)
- salt (don't add too much, the beef base will be salty)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb sorrel, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb spinach leaves, chopped
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Place beef in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- Add water, beef base, salt and pepper.
- Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer 1 hour.
- Add parsnips, carrots, leeks, celery and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes more, or until meat is tender.
- Add sorrel and spinach and simmer until greens are tender, 5-10 minutes more.
- Taste and add sugar if it's too sour.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with sour cream.
I really loved this soup! And I feel that it is so good for me, with all the greens! A soup I didn't mind having leftovers for lunch the next day. Thanks for sharing. Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014.