1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 40 mins
No beets in this one! Adapted from When the Good Cook Gardens.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons beef base (or 4 beef bouillon cubes)
- salt (don't add too much, the beef base will be salty)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb sorrel, chopped
- 1/2 lb spinach leaves, chopped
- sour cream (to garnish)
- 1Place beef in a large pot or Dutch oven.
- 2Add water, beef base, salt and pepper.
- 3Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer 1 hour.
- 4Add parsnips, carrots, leeks, celery and potatoes.
- 5Cover and simmer 30 minutes more, or until meat is tender.
- 6Add sorrel and spinach and simmer until greens are tender, 5-10 minutes more.
- 7Taste and add sugar if it's too sour.
- 8Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Green Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.0
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 133.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: