Recipe by HeatherFeather
This is a delicious orangey tea that just smells wonderful! I portion out some of the mix in little holiday ziploc baggies to give as gifts at the holidays. I am always surprised how many people have never had this tea. I have used this recipe for 8 years and have had many positive comments. A nice way to present this tea is to fill a zip-plastic baggie with some of the tea mix and place in a gift mug. This is an instant version of the real Russian tea, which is more like a hot fruity tea punch. Imagine a warm, sweet spiced apple cider, only with a citrusy/orange taste instead. This will not taste like a brewed black tea. The lemonade mix called for is one tiny packet, enough to make a 2 quart size pitcher (although you only use the mix dry). If you are subbing in sugar-free versions of any ingredients (which do work just fine) be aware that they will weigh less than anything made with sugar, so measuring by volume (such as US type cups and spoons) is key here if you are converting the recipe.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
- 2 cups instant Tang orange drink
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened iced tea mix powder
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unsweetened lemonade mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.
- To use, fill a mug with boiling water and stir in 2-3 teaspoons of mix, to taste.
- If all you can find is presweetened lemonade, then use the amount of dry mix needed for a 2 quart pitcher according to the package instructions and leave out the sugar.