1/2 Photos of Russian Easter Dessert (Pashka)
12 hrs 35 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Russian Orthodox Christians created this dessert in celebration of Easter. This dessert is similar to a fancy French dessert made in heart shaped draining forms for Valentines Day, and cheesecake without the crust. Absolutely delicious! You can, of course, add other ingredients instead of the candied fruit and almonds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix egg yolks and whipping cream in heavy saucepan.
- 2Stir in sugar and salt.
- 3Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat; stir in vanilla extract.
- 5Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool.
- 6If custard curdles, beat with hand beater until smooth.
- 7Place 3 cups of the cottage cheese and 2 tablespoons of the butter in blender container.
- 8Cover and blend on medium speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides, until smooth.
- 9Repeat with remaining cottage cheese and butter.
- 10Stir custard into cheese mixture until smooth.
- 11Stir in candied fruit and almonds.
- 12Line a 2-quart non-clay flower pot (or any form dish WITH OPENINGS IN THE BOTTOM, like a flower pot has) with double layer dampened cheesecloth.
- 13Pour cheese mixture into pot; fold ends of cheesecloth over top. Place pot on cake rack in shallow pan; place weights on top.
- 14Refrigerate 12 to 24 hours, pouring off any liquid that accumulates in pan.
- 15To serve, unmold onto serving plate; remove cheesecloth.
- 16Garnish as desired with additional candied fruit and blanched almonds.
- 17Refrigerate any remaining dessert.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Easter Dessert (Pashka)
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.7
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.6 mg
- Sodium 450.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed candied fruit