Recipe by Cilantro in Canada
This is a variation of a traditional Easter dessert that Russian Orthodox make. It is quite rich and too much will cause you to pack on the pounds. This isn't a huge concern after a long lent. The number of portions is an estimate (depends on how much you put on your plate - my kids load it on). The cooking and preparation times are also rough estimates.
Top Review by Gerry
AWESOME! Somehow missed reviewing this fantastic tasting traditional dessert which graced our Easter table last year. Loved how easy it was to make - and better yet the wonderful taste that one gets from the combination of the dry cottage cheese and the cream cheese. Made as posted resulting in a dessert I was proud to serve. Rich and lovely and so worth the splurge! Thank you for sharing.
- 2 lbs pressed cottage cheese (no salt)
- 3 lbs cream cheese
- 10 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 3 1⁄2 cups fine sugar
- 5 (9 g) packages vanilla sugar, we use oetker original vanilla sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yolks and whip cream over double boiler until it coats the spoon. Stir in vanilla sugar.
- Press cottage cheese, cream cheese, and butter through a ricer or sieve.
- In batches, place cheese mixture in mixing bowl and slowly add yolks until smooth. Add fine sugar and blend into mixture.
- Combine bowls and mix.
- Place in small containers, loosely cover in plastic, then a cheese cloth and a weight. For the weight, we use a plastic margarine container filled with water.