Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
This is a variation of a traditional Easter dessert that Russian Orthodox make. It is quite rich and too much will cause you to pack on the pounds. This isn't a huge concern after a long lent. The number of portions is an estimate (depends on how much you put on your plate - my kids load it on). The cooking and preparation times are also rough estimates.
- 2 lbs pressed cottage cheese (no salt)
- 3 lbs cream cheese
- 10 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 3 1⁄2 cups fine sugar
- 5 (9 g) packages vanilla sugar, we use oetker original vanilla sugar
- Mix yolks and whip cream over double boiler until it coats the spoon. Stir in vanilla sugar.
- Press cottage cheese, cream cheese, and butter through a ricer or sieve.
- In batches, place cheese mixture in mixing bowl and slowly add yolks until smooth. Add fine sugar and blend into mixture.
- Combine bowls and mix.
- Place in small containers, loosely cover in plastic, then a cheese cloth and a weight. For the weight, we use a plastic margarine container filled with water.
AWESOME! Somehow missed reviewing this fantastic tasting traditional dessert which graced our Easter table last year. Loved how easy it was to make - and better yet the wonderful taste that one gets from the combination of the dry cottage cheese and the cream cheese. Made as posted resulting in a dessert I was proud to serve. Rich and lovely and so worth the splurge! Thank you for sharing.