Recipe by Bob Crouch
This makes an excellent dessert after a great meal. Just serve as individual molds or slice off a chunk from a large mold. Surround with fruit. You can't go wrong.
Top Review by badabingbarb
Russian cream is my favorite dessert. I use almond flavoring instead of vanilla and put sliced sweetened strawberries on top. You need to use a thick commercial sour cream. One envelope of gelatine translates to 7.8 grams (0.25 ounces) for our European friends.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- strawberries or kiwi or star fruit or mangoes or papayas or blueberries (your choice, go for it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together cream, sugar, and gelatin in a saucepan and heat gently until the gelatin is thoroughly dissolved.
- Cool until slightly thickened.
- Fold in sour cream and flavor with vanilla.
- Whisk until mixture is quite smooth.
- Pour mixture into a serving bowl or 3 cup metal mold.
- If you want to make individual servings, pour into six small 1/2 cup individual molds.
- Cover and chill until set, at least 4 hours.
- Unmold by dipping container in hot water until edges being to melt.
- Invert mold onto a serving dish and surround with fruit.