Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Siberian variation of a Korean salad (called Korean Carrot Salad in Russia). It is a spicy dish that mixes carrot and coriander for a positively addicting result.
- 1 lb carrot, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Wash and peel carrots.
- Slice into long, thin, square strips. Hint: you will need a vegetable slicer NOT grater for this job. I bought mine at a local Asian food store.
- For dressing: In separate bowl, mix oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, red pepper and coriander.
- Pour dressing over carrots, mix well.
- Adjust the spices to taste. Reduce the red pepper for a milder version.
I lived in Central Asia for more than 20 years, where I used to by this salad from real Koreans. But this salad was not even close to the one I had in CA.
I had this and really enjoyed it. I used my mandolin to make the carrots into a beautiful cut, and I cut the oil back to 1 1/2 tbs of sesame oil. I simply marinated the carrots in the dressing for several hours and it was a very tasty accompaniment to my Korean meal. It's also a very nice and different way to get in some carrots!
I lived in Central Asia for years.I love this salad.I'd show how to make it in right way.This salad made by Korean peole who lives in Cenral Asia(exUSSR) 1. Use large bowl. Mix carrots with spices and add a little bit of sesame seeds and few drops of sesame oil and vinegar(use strong vinegar)and put it away for 30 min. Korean people use cotton seed oil for this salad. 2.Fryed small onion in cotton oil(after trash away this onion).Make sure oil is really hot. Pour hot oil into salad and mixed with salad(by hands).If you dont have cotton oil then use sunflower oil (dont fry onion in this case). Put salad in fridge for 2 - 4 days(put some wieght on salad to press it down) Enjoy it.