Recipe by Ivana*
Practically begged for this recipe from a friend of a friend after tasting it.It is so delicious! Only 3 ingredients and lots of elbow grease, but the results are so worth it. These caramels are divine! This recipe makes a lot, scale it down if you wish, but I think it would be a lot of work to make a smaller amount. Besides I enjoy sharing these around with family and friends.
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large heavy based saucepan/pot.
- Add sugar and condensed milk.
- Bring to the boil and stir continuously for about an hour with a wooden spoon, on a medium to low heat (slow boil to a simmer).
- Told you that you need some elbow grease for this recipe.
- It is ready when it changes to a medium to deep brown in colour.
- Pour the mixture into a baking paper lined tin.
- I use a large roasting tin 9"x12" approximately.
- Place in fridge to set.
- Cut into small squares (it is very rich).
- The amount of squares you get depends on the size you cut it into.
- So my yield is an estimate.
- I store my caramels in the frige as I like them firm and chewy, otherwise they will soften (still delicious though).