Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
I found this recipe on the net doing a recipe request search.
Make and share this Russian Cabbage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- In a large soup pot cover the beef, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf and garlic with cold water.
- Let stand for 1 hour and simmer covered for 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf, add cabbage, sugar, onion, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and offer Sour Cream at the table.
I found this recipe all over the web, so it seems to be the standard. It's good in a basic way but the flavor needed a little enhancing. I tasted it towards the end and decided to add beef stock, more vinegar, more sugar, a little bit of tomato juice (V-8 actually) and a splash of beer I was drinking. That turned it in to a four-star recipe.
I have been to russia and they served something similar to this when I was at a small village's hospital- in the poorer regions of russia they do not put tomatoes or the meat in it.
Tasty soup. I made this in the crockpot for the Soups On! challenge for the Culinary Quest 2014. I cooked this for 3 hours on low and then added the cabbage for about another hour. It came out quite well, but I forgot to reduce the amount of the water for the crockpot. I really enjoyed a dollop on top of this - it reminded me of the flavor of a cabbage roll. Thanks, Dib's, for sharing.