1 hr 10 mins
echo echo's Note:
My favorite recipe from the old 1970s cookbook The Vegetarian Epicure. I've adapted it a bit, most notably replacing butter with butter-flavored cooking spray.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely shredded
- dried basil or fresh basil, to taste
- dried marjoram or fresh marjoram or oregano, to taste
- dried tarragon or fresh tarragon, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb mushroom, washed and sliced
- 4 -5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- chopped fresh dill
- 1Sift together flour thru salt.
- 2Cut in butter, then 4 oz cream cheese.
- 3Roll out 2/3 of dough and line a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish.
- 4Roll out remaining pastry into a circle big enough to cover dish; chill.
- 5Spray a large skillet with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- 6Add onion and cabbage and at least 1/8 tsp (dried) or 1/2 tsp (fresh) of each herb.
- 7Sauté several minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly until cabbage is wilted& onions are soft; remove from pan.
- 8Spray skillet again and sauté mushrooms 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 9Spread other 4 oz cream cheese in the bottom of the pie shell.
- 10Arrange the eggs in a layer over the cream cheese.
- 11Sprinkle with a little dill, then cover with cabbage mixture, then a layer of the mushrooms.
- 12Cover with pastry circle, press crusts together tightly at the edges and flute with a fork.
- 13Cut a few short slashes in the top crust for steam to escape.
- 14Bake at 400°F 15 minutes.
- 15Turn temperature down to 350° and bake 20-25 minutes until crust is light brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Cabbage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (313 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 574.6
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 271.8 mg
- Sodium 947.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 18.7 g