Recipe by Chocolatl
This is another recipe for "green" borscht; that is, borscht made without beets. Adapted from The Complete Round the World Meat Cookbook.
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- beef bone (optional)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 3 lbs cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine meat, bones and water in a deep saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Skim any foam and fat off the top.
- Stir in onions and tomatoes.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add cabbage, apple, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in lemon juice and sugar.
- Simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Remove beef.
- Meat can be cut up and stirred back into the soup, or served on the side.