Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I can't remember where I got this recipe...from a magazine or a book years ago. I make it when ever I get fresh beets.
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb fresh beet, shredded
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean stewing beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- sour cream or fresh dill
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the following order:.
- cabbage, beets, carrots, parsnip, onion, garlic, beef, tomatoes with juice, broth, lemon juice, sugar and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours or until veggies are tender-crisp. Season with additional lemon juice and sugar, if desired garnish with sour cream and fresh dill.
This was a simple and tasty Borscht to satisfy my craving. Who says it's a cold weather meal? I think anything crockpot is good for the summer so I don't have to heat up my house with the oven or stove. It surprised me that there are only a few Borscht recipes posted that use meat. The meat was really good in it, I think I'd double it next time. I made it as directed but added some beet leaves, parsley root and turnips.
So easy and delicous! Perfect fall soup! I did not use a parsnip because it is only listed in the directions so it did not end up on my shopping list.... but it was still very good!! Next time I will add the parsnip as I love those as well! Thanks Katie!