Recipe by abloom69
I found a newspaper clipping of this recipe in an old cookbook. I am posting to try.
- 6622.0 ml water
- 1892.0 ml canned tomatoes
- 473.18 ml tomato juice
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 113.39 g butter
- 1 medium beet, quartered
- 414.03 ml carrots, chopped
- 414.03 ml celery, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 44.37 ml salt
- 4258.62 ml cabbage, shredded
- 473.19 ml whipping cream
- 354.88 ml potatoes, diced
- 236.59 ml green onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml fresh dill, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tomatoes and juice in pot for 1 hour.
- Sauté onions lightly in 1/8 lb. butter then add 3 cups cabbage and sauté.
- Add water to tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Add beet and halved potatoes. Cook until done.
- Remove beet and discard.
- Remove potatoes and mash with butter, add 1/2 pint whipping cream.
- Add remaining cream to water and tomatoes in the pot.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and green pepper to water mix. Cook till done.
- Add mashed potatoes and diced potatoes. Bring to hard boil.
- Add shredded cabbage and bring to a hard boil.
- Add dill and green onions and bring to hard boil, add sautéed onion and cabbage and bring to hard boil.
- Take off burner and let stand uncovered till half cooled.
- Do not use margarine or omit any ingredients. If using dry dill use 1/4 cup. Have all vegetables peeled and chopped before starting.