Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found a newspaper clipping of this recipe in an old cookbook. I am posting to try.
Make and share this Russian Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 7 quarts water
- 2 quarts canned tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 10 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 medium beet, quartered
- 1 3⁄4 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups celery, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 18 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Cook tomatoes and juice in pot for 1 hour.
- Sauté onions lightly in 1/8 lb. butter then add 3 cups cabbage and sauté.
- Add water to tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Add beet and halved potatoes. Cook until done.
- Remove beet and discard.
- Remove potatoes and mash with butter, add 1/2 pint whipping cream.
- Add remaining cream to water and tomatoes in the pot.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic and green pepper to water mix. Cook till done.
- Add mashed potatoes and diced potatoes. Bring to hard boil.
- Add shredded cabbage and bring to a hard boil.
- Add dill and green onions and bring to hard boil, add sautéed onion and cabbage and bring to hard boil.
- Take off burner and let stand uncovered till half cooled.
- Do not use margarine or omit any ingredients. If using dry dill use 1/4 cup. Have all vegetables peeled and chopped before starting.