Recipe by Linky
There are as many borsch recipes as cooks, it seems! This one comes from an authentic Russian recipe site, with my modifications to make the directions more clear.
- 1 lb beef (with or without bones)
- 1 lb red beet (3 average ones)
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage, shredded
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 2 onions
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sour cream, parsley, dill and spring onions (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put beef into a large saucepan and cover with 3 qts.cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Remove the grease and froth from the broth surface with a spoon.
- Add one onion. Cook at low heat for 1-2 hours.
- Remove meat, shred and set aside. Save cooking liquid/broth. Discard onion.
- Simmer cleaned but unpeeled red beets in broth until soft; peel, cut into matchsticks. Return to broth.
- Add tomato paste. Simmer at low heat for 1 hour. If there is not enough liquid, add some broth. Add vinegar.
- Cut carrots into matchsticks.
- Saute chopped onions and carrots in 1 Tbs. margarine; set aside with meat.
- Heat broth to boiling; add chopped cabbage and cubed potatoes; cook 5 minutes.
- Add reserved meat, carrots and onions and cook another 10 minutes. Can add garlic if using.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, garnish with parsley, dill and chopped green onion.