Recipe by Annisette
This is a heavy, dark bread. Posted for ZWT 2006. This recipe makes either 24 rolls or 2 round loaves. Cooking time includes rising times, and will also depend on whether you're making rolls or loaves.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 4 cups medium rye flour
- 1 egg white, to brush over loaves before baking (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water, to brush over loaves before baking (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat water, molasses, oil, and baking chocolate until very warm (120F - 130F degrees). The chocolate does not need to be completely melted.
- In a large bowl, blend all-purpose flour, bran, sugar, coffee, salt, onion powder, fennel seed, and yeast at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in, by hand, the rye flour.
- On well-floured working surface, knead the dough, adding 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups additional all-purpose flour as needed, until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, and then turn the dough so the greased side is up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until not quite doubled in size (about 45-60 minutes).
- Generously grease (not oil) two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or cookie sheets. Punch down dough.
- For Rolls: divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in prepared round cake pans.
- For Loaves: divide dough in half and shape each half into rounds. Place in prepared pans.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until not quite doubled in size (30-45 minutes).
- Heat oven to 375F degrees. If desired, brush rolls or loaves with mixture of 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water.
- Bake rolls for 35-40 minutes. Bake loaves for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is dark brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Immediately remove from pans and allow to cool.