2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 50 mins
This is a heavy, dark bread. Posted for ZWT 2006. This recipe makes either 24 rolls or 2 round loaves. Cooking time includes rising times, and will also depend on whether you're making rolls or loaves.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded bran cereal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed (optional)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 4 cups medium rye flour
- 1 egg white, to brush over loaves before baking (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water, to brush over loaves before baking (optional)
- 1In a medium saucepan, heat water, molasses, oil, and baking chocolate until very warm (120F - 130F degrees). The chocolate does not need to be completely melted.
- 2In a large bowl, blend all-purpose flour, bran, sugar, coffee, salt, onion powder, fennel seed, and yeast at low speed until moistened. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- 3Stir in, by hand, the rye flour.
- 4On well-floured working surface, knead the dough, adding 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups additional all-purpose flour as needed, until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Dough will be slightly sticky.
- 5Place dough in a greased bowl, and then turn the dough so the greased side is up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until not quite doubled in size (about 45-60 minutes).
- 6Generously grease (not oil) two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or cookie sheets. Punch down dough.
- 7For Rolls: divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in prepared round cake pans.
- 8For Loaves: divide dough in half and shape each half into rounds. Place in prepared pans.
- 9Cover and let rise in warm place until not quite doubled in size (30-45 minutes).
- 10Heat oven to 375F degrees. If desired, brush rolls or loaves with mixture of 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water.
- 11Bake rolls for 35-40 minutes. Bake loaves for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is dark brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- 12Immediately remove from pans and allow to cool.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Black Bread (Rolls or Loaves)
Serving Size: 1 (1665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.0
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 295.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
shredded bran cereal