1/2 Photos of Russian Black Bread (Bread Machine)
Adapted from the cookbook Big Book of Bread Machine Recipes. I make this *dense* (meaning not high rising) bread in the cold months and serve with a hearty stew or soup. Not too sour a loaf of bread either as some black bread can be.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, brewed and cooled*
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 4 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, slightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/4 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup bran cereal flakes (I use All-Bran by Kellogg's) or 3/4 cup bran buds (I use All-Bran by Kellogg's)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (if using sweetened cocoa powder, omit sugar)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1*Variation: Instead of 3/4 cup brewed coffee, substitute 3/4 cup warm water and add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules.
- 2Place all ingredients except for sunflower seeds into bread pan in order directed by bread machine manufacturer's instructions.
- 3Add sunflower seeds (if using), at fruit/nut beep cycle.
- 4Yield: 1 1/2 pound loaf.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Black Bread (Bread Machine)
Serving Size: 1 (625 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1426.7
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2537.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 268.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.6 g
- Sugars 51.2 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: