Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fast and healthy recipe found in the 1970's from a health food magazine. Too many years ago to remember which magazine, health food promoter, etc., but it is delicious if you love garlic!
- 4 large raw beets
- 4 -6 raw peeled garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black walnut (no substitute)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons honey (more added to taste)
- Peel and shred beets, place in bowl.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves, add to shredded beets.
- Add pieces of black walnuts (do not substitute other walnuts or nuts).
- Add mayonnaise and honey.
- Stir to mix all ingredients and refrigerate in covered bowl until ready to serve.
I like this salad too, but other reviewers I boil beets too. I had one left over carrot so I added it too and it tasted great. I also used regular walnuts. The walnuts twist gives this salad a better texture. My mom makes similiar salad but this one is way better and I cannot wait to have my mom over to show off. Definitely boil the beets unless you are into raw food
I like this salad. I mix a bit of yogurt in too instead of all the mayo. Also, if you chop some parsley really, really fine and mix, it looks nicer!
I agree with the suggestion to boil the beets. Or you can use canned beets to save time. Also, consider using half as much garlic as it can be quite overpowering; you can always add more if needed.