Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From RusslandJournal.de. A food processor will save time. I have added 3 ways to precook the beets, depending on your preference. I recommend wearing plastic gloves when handling the beets, as they will stain otherwise.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs red beets, grated (1 kg)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces walnuts, chopped (100 g)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Directions See How It's Made
- PRECOOK BEETS:.
- Wash the beets and trim the ends off before cooking.
- To ROAST: Place trimmed beets in a roasting pan and add a little water for steam. Roast the beets at 425 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes (cover the pan with foil) or until the beets are easily pierced with a knife.
- To BOIL: Cook the beets for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- To MICROWAVE: Cook the beets with a little water for 8 to 15 minutes on HIGH.
- Slip off the skins under running water and grate or dice.
- PREPARE SALAD:.
- Mix grated or diced cooked beets, chopped walnuts (if serving immediately; otherwise, reserve until serving), and crushed garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well.