Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From RusslandJournal.de. A food processor will save time. I have added 3 ways to precook the beets, depending on your preference. I recommend wearing plastic gloves when handling the beets, as they will stain otherwise.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs red beets, grated (1 kg)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces walnuts, chopped (100 g)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- PRECOOK BEETS:.
- Wash the beets and trim the ends off before cooking.
- To ROAST: Place trimmed beets in a roasting pan and add a little water for steam. Roast the beets at 425 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes (cover the pan with foil) or until the beets are easily pierced with a knife.
- To BOIL: Cook the beets for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- To MICROWAVE: Cook the beets with a little water for 8 to 15 minutes on HIGH.
- Slip off the skins under running water and grate or dice.
- PREPARE SALAD:.
- Mix grated or diced cooked beets, chopped walnuts (if serving immediately; otherwise, reserve until serving), and crushed garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mayonnaise and mix well.
Very interesting salad which we enjoyed. Made as directed with no problems -- choosing the roasting option. Thanks for sharing!
Kate, this is a super tasty salad, which both my sis and me very much enjoyed for lunch. The garlic goes so well with the slight sweetness of the beets and the dressing really sets them off. I used sunflower seeds in my salad as I cant have nuts and they gave a nice crunch, which I liked a lot. I imagine walnuts to give the salad a stronger flavour, but I liked it as is, too. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe with us. As I luv beets this will from now on be part of my beet routine. :)
First off I love red beets and was really excited to make this recipe. Instead of fresh beets I used canned and I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic. The garlic went well with the beets and the walnuts added some nice texture. I'm sure this would go over well at a family picnic, thanks!