Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Russian beet salad with a difference! I have used canned beets to make this salad, (see step #12) but, fresh beets are best!
- 6 -8 fresh beets (1 bunch)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped fine
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1 -2 cup sour cream or 1 -2 cup yogurt, as you prefer
- fresh ground black pepper
- Trim beets of stems and greens, place prepared beets into a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, garlic, honey and salt in a bowl, set aside.
- Prepare the rest of the vegetables and eggs, set aside.
- Rinse cooked beets under cold running water as you remove the skins, they will retain a lot of heat!
- Chop beets into 1/2 inch chunks and while they are still hot, add the vinegar mixture.
- Stir until well combined with the dressing.
- Allow to marinate 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Set aside a few pieces of the vegetables, egg and dill to use as a garnish, add the remaining ingredients to the beets along with the amount of sour cream or yogurt you desire.
- Note: I use only enough sour cream to combine the salad, approximately 1 cup +.
- Stir well, chill until very cold.
- Top with garnish, serve.
- To substitute canned beets - pour two 14oz. cans of small beets including the liquid into a saucepan, heat until boiling hot, drain well and continue with step #5.
Made the recipe exactly as written and found the taste a bit bland. It was easy to make and next time I'll add a jalapeno pepper or horseradish (or both). Maybe I like hot and spicy too much and that's why I thought it was a bit bland. I am glad I tried it and will make it again with some spice-modification. Thanks for posting.