Recipe by Denver cooks
This tastes very similar to runzas, but takes a fraction of the time and effort to make.
Top Review by hbinhb
I lived in Lincoln, NE for about 5 years and always loved Runzas. Now, living in CA, I remembered a friend making a Runza casserole and found this recipe. My boyfriend had never had a Runza and kept asking, a WHAT? He loved it, as did I. The only thing I added was about 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese that I had on hand and needed to use up. This was too much for just the 2 of us, and next time, I'll halve the recipe. Thank you for a great recipe!
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown the hamburger and onion in a skillet. Then drain.
- Put cabbage on top and cover to steam for a few minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper. To taste.
- Add soup.
- Mix well.
- Separate into pieces and spread 1 tube of the crescent rolls over the bottom of a 9x13x2" pan.
- Spread the hamburger/cabbage mixture on top of the crescent dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the meat mixture.
- Separate the 2nd tube of crescents, put the dough pieces on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, covering with foil the last 10 minutes to soften the crust.