Prep 3 hrs
Cook 12 mins
This is made from scratch. It was handed down to us by a family here in Lincoln, Nebraska. Our children ask for it when they come home for vacation and also ask for it when we go visit them. Its a lot of work, but worth it.
- 2 large cabbage, heads shredded
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 -8 cups flour, for a soft dough
- Shred cabbage and chop onions while meat is browning in a large pot.
- Add onions and cook until the meat looses its color.
- Then add cabbage, cover and simmer till cabbage is soft, stir often.
- Cool the meat and cabbage so it is easier to place in dough. Cool in frig.
- Soften yeast in water and add rest of ingredients and mix dough. Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and let it rise again.
- Divide dough in half and roll it to about 3/8" thick.
- Cut into squares about 5" by 6 ". Place cabbage in center of square and bring corner together and pinch together to seal all seams.
- Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden brown at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.
- These freeze well, after they cool!