3 hrs 12 mins
This is made from scratch. It was handed down to us by a family here in Lincoln, Nebraska. Our children ask for it when they come home for vacation and also ask for it when we go visit them. Its a lot of work, but worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large cabbage, heads shredded
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Shred cabbage and chop onions while meat is browning in a large pot.
- 2Add onions and cook until the meat looses its color.
- 3Then add cabbage, cover and simmer till cabbage is soft, stir often.
- 4Cool the meat and cabbage so it is easier to place in dough. Cool in frig.
- 5Soften yeast in water and add rest of ingredients and mix dough. Let rise until double in bulk. Punch down and let it rise again.
- 6Divide dough in half and roll it to about 3/8" thick.
- 7Cut into squares about 5" by 6 ". Place cabbage in center of square and bring corner together and pinch together to seal all seams.
- 8Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet.
- 9Bake until golden brown at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.
- 10These freeze well, after they cool!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Runza Cabbage-Beef Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.9
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 81.8 mg
- Sodium 282.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 23.5 g