Recipe by ninismy5in
I got this recipe from my step mom which is something my whole family makes. The filling for Runzas is pretty basic.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages yeast
- 2 cups milk (about 100F) or 2 cups water (about 100F)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 7 -8 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- soften yeast in liquid; add rest of the ingredients. (All done in one bowl).
- Knead together and let rise to double in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Turn out on board and divide dough. roll half of dough at a time to about three-eights inch thickness.
- Cut into squares about 5 or 6 inches.
- Place portion of filling in center of squares and bring corners together.
- Pinch openings tight.
- Turn pinched side onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Rub melted butter on top and place on rack and cover. (tip, dissolve yeast in a warm liquid, about 100F, or it will deactivate the yeast).