Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe was developed by my Father and Aunt in the late 60's for Dad's restaurant. Dad had people coming from surrounding counties to get his Barbecue Beef Sandwiches. Mix it with shredded beef or pork. Add it to your favorite baked bean recipe for a truly fantastic flavor. Any left over sauce can be frozen.
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 56 ounces catsup
- 24 ounces chili sauce
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 green peppers, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon frank louisiana hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Mix all ingredients and simmer all day or until onions and peppers are tender stirring frequently.
- The longer the better.
excellent, cut the cloves all spice and cin. in 1/2. It takes so long to make ...worth it...but do you think you could process it in jars. i don't see why...any thoughts? Thanks
Very good recipe but found that the cloves overpowered the overall flavor. I will make it again but reduce the amt of cloves and allspice. Thanks for a great recipe!
Nice spicy flavor--this will replace my previous BBQ sauce used in shredded beef sandwiches, and I thought that one was good! Thanks, Roger, for sharing.