Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
On the way home from a recent trip to England, I picked up in the airport bookstore a copy of BBC Good Food Magazine. This publication has some beautiful recipes in it. This is one of them. I guessed from the picture of the recipe that runner beans are the same as our green beans, so that is what I used. The recipe also calls for anchovies, of which I am not a fan. I substituted bacon bits.
- 2 eggs
- 500 g runner beans, topped, tailed and halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces white bread, whizzed to rough crumbs (Use a good quality bread)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bunch chives, snipped
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- Put the eggs into a pan of cold water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 8 minutes.
- Put the beans into a steamer or heatproof colander, cover and steam over the egg pan for 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender and very bright green.
- Meanwhile, whisk the dressing ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
- Cool the eggs under cold water, then peel.
- Heat a frying pan and add the olive oil.
- When hot, tip in the bread crumbs and whole garlic clove.
- Stir for about 3 minutes until toasted and golden, and just infused with the garlic.
- Chop the eggs, chives and anchovies and mix together.
- Toss the beans with the dressing while still warm, then scoop onto a serving dish.
- Top with the anchovy mix and the crumbs, then spoon over any dressing left in the bowl.