Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Bittman's, "The Best Recipes of the World". He suggests serving this with coconut rice. He also suggested coconut rice with beans, but I think that would be a complete meal in itself. You can garnish this fish dish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired. Cooking time includes the one hour that is recommended for resting the fish before cooking.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs cod fish fillets (or redsnapper, seabass or other white-fleshed fish, in two pieces)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil (or any oil that's neutral)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 chile (stemmed, seeded and minced...or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped tomato (with its juice)
- 1 lime, juice of
- Lightly salt both sides of the fish. Put in the fridge for about an hour; no less than 30 minutes and no more than 24 hours.
- Put oil in a deep skillet over med-high heat for one minute. Add garlic, onion, chile and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and tomato; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces by half.
- Rinse the fish; add it to the pot. Adjust heat so that mixture bubbles steadily but not violently. Fish should be done in about 10 minutes. If you put a thin-bladed knife through it, it should meet little resistance. Add lime juice.
Oh so yum curry and fish. DH isn't a fan of fish so I saved this dish for last as it was only myself, ds11 and dsd14 and we all love our seafood. I used Basa as that is what I already had in the freezer and it lent itself perfectly to the curry sauce. Easy to make, wonderful to eat, I'll be sneaking it in regularly when the picky feller is working late. Thank you for another lovely recipe Debbie ! Made for Team Tasty Tester's during ZWT #9 :)
Amazing recipe. I made this last night, and was concerned that there were no other reviews. But I made it with just 1 lb of cod filet, and wish I made more, them taste is heavenly.