Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From BHG 1988 Holiday Cooking. A delicate little cookie great for the holidays. Cook time includes 1 hour for chilling.
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- nutmeg, for dusting
- Beat butter and sugar till fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, then flour, nutmeg, salt and beat well. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets and press down centers with thumb.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes.
- Cool on rack.
- Make filling: Beat butter and powdered sugar until soft. Stir in the milk and rum extract.
- Spoon or pipe about 1/2 tsp of filling into each indent in cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Great recipe but I would have preferred the cookies to be just a little sweeter, these cookies are very fragile when baked, so cool well before removing from the pan otherwise they will break apart, thanks Kaarin, these will make a great addition to my holiday cookie platter!...Kitten:)