Recipe by Aunt Cookie
From Sundays at Moosewood. I know this has a pretty bizarre name, but the casserole itself is pretty standard comfort food.
Top Review by honeychile
Brilliant comfort food! I didn't have any broccoli so I increased the amount of cabbage and leeks. I sauteed the leeks and cabbage with some of the butter instead of steaming it. I didn't have any mace so I had to use nutmeg instead. If you're going to use nutmeg, use only 1/8t. My boyfriend wants me to make this again soon!
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 leeks, washed and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups broccoli, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and coarsely chop the potatoes. Boil in salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Steam the cabbage, leeks, and broccoli.
- Melt 2 tb. of the butter and add the mace.
- Combine the cabbage, leeks, and broccoli with the seasoned butter; salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain and mash the potatoes with the remaining butter and the milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine potatoes with other vegetables.
- Oil a 9 x 13 pan and spread the vegetable mixture in it.
- Sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Broil for a few minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.