Feast Your Eyes!'s Note:
Sponge cake is drizzled in rum, sprinkled with almonds and dates, layered in vanilla pudding and whipped cream, and garnished with chocolate curls. It's a dessert that is so moist and sumptuous, you are sure to experience "A Bit of Heaven and a Hint of Rum." Experiment with this recipe by adding your own favorite ingredients, like lemon curd, orange zest, or white chocolate crumbles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vanilla pudding (Easy recipe below)
- 1 sponge cake, cut into 1-inch cubes (store-bought)
- 1 cup rum, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup almonds, blanced and slivered
- 1 cup pitted dates, firmly packed, finely chopped
- whipped topping (Recipe below)
- 1 (4 ounce) bar dark chocolate
Easy Vanilla Pudding
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1Begin by making the vanilla pudding:
- 2Heat 2 2/3 cups of the milk.
- 3Mix the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a seperate bowl; stir in the remaining milk.
- 4Add the cornstarch mixture to the heated milk and cook over low heat, continuously stirring, until smooth and thick, and the cornstarch is completely cooked (about 10 minutes).
- 5Set aside to cool down to room temperature.
- 6Meanwhile, layer 1/3 of the sponge cake cubes in the bottom of a footed trifle dish or deep glass bowl.
- 7Drizzle the cake with 1/3 rum and sprinkle with 1/3 almonds and 1/3 dates; top with 1/3 vanilla pudding. Repeat the layers until the bowl is ALMOST full.
- 8Chill for at least four (4) hours - Longer is better.
- 9Meanwhile prepare the whipped cream topping:
- 10In a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks are just about to form.
- 11Beat in the vanilla, 2 tablespoons rum, and sugar until peaks form. COOK'S TIP: Do not over-beat or the cream will become lumpy and butter-like.
- 12Just before serving the trifle, pipe the whipped cream over the top and run a vegetable peeler over the edge of the dark chocolate bar, letting the curls sprinkle over the cream topping.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rummy Sponge Cake Trifle: a Festival of Flavors in Your Mouth
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1070.1
- Calories from Fat 589
- Total Fat 65.5 g
- Saturated Fat 35.2 g
- Cholesterol 233.9 mg
- Sodium 365.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 63.4 g
- Protein 14.7 g