Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This grilled chicken has the wonderful smoky taste of bacon plus dark rum, a bit of chili sauce, and some lemon to tie it all together. A little different, and soooo good! Cook time includes chicken grilling time; this can vary depending on size of chicken breasts used.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili sauce (I like Homade or my own)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse-grind pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, cook bacon until it's lightly browned and some fat is rendered.
- Add minced onion and cook until onion is well-browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce and rum; simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in lemon juice, brown sugar, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Fire up the grill; brush chicken breasts with a little olive oil, if desired.
- Cook, basting with sauce during last 10 or 15 minutes of chicken grilling time.