Recipe by dicentra
My friend Richard passed this along to me. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks yummy It originally comes from Vegetarian Times. A Brazilian recipe. Steam some Swiss chard while the stew is simmering and serve with warmed flour tortillas.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (1 to 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 small hot green chili pepper (or more)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe mango, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), chili and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender but still firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer gently, uncovered, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in cilantro and salt. Serve hot.