Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a traditional Scottish Dish that will WOW your guests!
- 1 bunch large kale, thinly sliced-about 8 cups
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped leek
- 2 small cloves garlic cloves
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (12 oz.)
- salt and pepper
- Butter an 8 cup baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute Chopped onion in 2 tbsp butter until translucent.
- Blanch Kale in a large pot of boiling salted water until.tender, then quench in ice water.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer Kale to a bowl.
- Return water to a boil and add potatoes.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add butter, finely minced garlic and sour cream and mash potatoes.
- Mix in leeks, ½ of the sauted onion and then Kale to potatoes.
- Add half the cheese and mash into potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add sauted onion to the top of Dish in a 2-3 inch wide strip.
- down the center.
- Bake about 35 minutes until cheese bubbles.