1/10 Photos of Rumbledethumps - Celtic Potato, Cabbage & Cheese Gratin
French Tart's Note:
A wonderful combination of mashed potatoes, Savoy cabbage, cheese & chives - baked OR grilled to give a crispy cheesy topping. This is one of my very favourite family recipes - my Mum used to make it, as did her Mum before her! This is a Scottish recipe, similar to Irish Colcannon, which is also a potato & cabbage dish. You can serve this as a vegetable accompaniment or as a light luncheon dish with crusty bread & extra vegetables. P.S. My daughter calls this baked Bubble and Squeak & always asks for it when she comes home from university!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 225C/450F - ONLY if you wish to bake this. Otherwise, this dish can be grilled.
- 2Lightly grease a heat resistant serving or baking dish.
- 3Boil the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- 4At the the same time, boil the savoy cabbage for 5 minutes maximum - take off the heat, drain & allow to cool in a colander.
- 5Drain the potatoes and add the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher or hand held mixer - mix & mash the potatoes thoroughly until smooth & with no lumps.
- 6Add the cabbage & chives to the mashed potatoes - gently mix together.
- 7Pile the Rumbledethumps mixture into your serving or baking dish - scatter the grated cheddar cheese over the top and EITHER, bake for 15 - 20 minutes in the oven OR put under a hot grill for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
- 8Serve immediately with grilled or roast meat, casseroles, stews or roast chicken.
- 9This also makes a wonderful vegetarian meal or a light luncheon dish - serve with crusty bread and extra vegetables if you wish.
- 10This serves 4 people as an accompaniment and 2 people as a light luncheon dish.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rumbledethumps - Celtic Potato, Cabbage & Cheese Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.2
- Calories from Fat 385
- Total Fat 42.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 561.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 23.3 g