Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a variation of a much loved Scottish border dish. It is delicious! We love it. It can be prepared in advance and popped into the oven at your convenience. Goes Great with Roast Beef!!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs turnips
- 4 ounces butter
- 14 ounces savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Peel and chop the potatoes and turnips and boil them togethr in a large pan of salted water for 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 325*F.
- Drain the vegetables well, return them to the pan and cover tightly, then shake over a low heat to dry them off completely.
- Heat half the butter in another pan, add the cabbage and cook until just tender, but still bright green (about 3 to 4 minutes) Tip all the buttery cabbage into the potato pan and add the remaining butter.
- Roughly mash everything together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Tip into an ovenproof dish, top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, preheat the grill and flash under the grill for 5 minutes to brown the top.
This is yummy! And the leftovers will translate into a great hash for breakfast! I made it more or less as directed (I always eyeball measurements) and decidedly I would add garlic in the future (as we are conditioned to eat garlic in everything in this household). Also, as a tip, do not underestimate the importance of the drying of the boiled veggies... I think I rushed through this step and ours turned out a little soggy. Despite that, I was delighted with this as a side with some Sriracha for kick.
I know I am late in posting this review, as the first time I made this was two Christmas's ago. EXCELENT, did not change a thing. It has become a faithful side in a few homes I know of. Thanx for posting.
A better version of irish colcannon. It was my first time cooking turnips and savoy cabbage and we loved the taste. Will make it again, but lighter version, using olive oil spread instead of butter and reduced fat cheese so I feel less guilty eating it.