Recipe by Irmgard
I came across this recipe in a bread machine book and tried it because it is similar in composition to the poppy seed loaf that my mom used to make. It was a big hit so now I make it every year at Easter.
Top Review by mianbao
This is very good. And it was amazingly simple to make in the bread machine. I will admit to being a little worried about using only one teaspoon of yeast, but followed the recipe, and it was exactly right. The filling is nice, but I think I'll leave out the cinnamon and maybe soak the raisins in rum next time. I'm sure I will make this many times. Thank you very much for such a versatile recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast or 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups ground pecans
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 8 ingredients to your bread machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select dough cycle.
- When the cycle is complete, remove the dough from the machine. Punch down. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, in a medium saucepan combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Boil gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the pecans, raisins, lemon peel and cinnamon. Cool to room temperature. Divide the dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each half into a 10" x 8" rectangle. Spread each with half of the filling. Starting from a short side, roll into a spiral; seal edge and ends. Place, seam down, on a large, greased baking sheet.
- Cover, let rise in a warm place 30 minutes or until nearly double in size. Combine the beaten egg and 1 tablespoon milk; brush over the loaves. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from baking sheets; cool.