Recipe by seahorse73
From Gourmet Magazine minus the Curry Powder
Top Review by MarielC
This is the basic recipe that I use. An easier cooking method is to use the microwave as long as you have one with a rotating tray. Line the tray with paper towels, about 12 of them so that they overlap and they tray has no areas left uncovered. Place the rumaki around the edge of the tray in a circle. Microwave on high for 15 to 20 minutes, the time really depends on your microwave so watch them carefully. The paper towels absorb the grease.
- 1⁄4 lb chicken liver, trimmed and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 12 canned water chestnuts, drained and halved horizontally
- 8 slices bacon, cut crosswires into thirds
- 24 wooden toothpicks
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken livers into 24 pieces.
- Stir together soy sauce, ginger, and brown sugar.
- Add livers and water chestnuts, toss to coat.
- Marinate, covered and chilled for 1 hour.
- While livers marinate, soak toothpicks in cold water for 1 hour, drain well.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove livers and chestnuts from marinade and discard.
- Place 1 piece of bacon on work surface and put 1 pices of liver and 1 piece of chestnut in center.
- Wrap bacon around liver and chestnut and secure with toothpick.
- Broil rumaki on rack of a broiler pan, turning once, until bacon is crisp and livers are cooked but still slightly pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve immediately.