Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a rich, delicious cake.
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark rum
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 1/2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt or tube pan.
- In a small saucepan on low heat, melt chocolate chips with milk.
- Combine chocolate mixture with remaining cake ingredients; blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake in preheated 350 degrees F. oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto wire rack (with a piece of waxed paper placed under the rack to catch any syrup drippings) to cool.
- For the Syrup:
- Combine sugar and water over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Stop stirring and bring syrup to boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in rum. Randomly pierce cake with fork.
- Pour half of syrup over cake.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using pastry brush, gently brush remaining syrup over top and sides of cake.
- For the Glaze:
- Bring cream and corn syrup to a gentle boil then remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over chocolate chips, let stand until melted them whisk smooth.
- Whisk in rum and vanilla.
- Pour over cake.
- Chill the cake for 5-10 minutes to set glaze.
- Refrigerate glazed cake in an airtight container.
- Remove cake from refrigerator one hour before serving.