Prep 1 hr 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
A co-worker brought this in for somebody's birthday. I believe it took approximately 25 minutes for the entire thing to vanish! Fabulous cake that was moist, tender and looked great. I later discovered that the recipe is attributed to Pillsbury. Prep time includes time for cake to cool.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 cups cut-up fresh fruit
- Heat oven to 350-degrees.
- Generously grease 12-cup Bundt pan or 8-cup ring mold.
- In large bowl, combine all cake ingredients; beat at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 2 more minutes at medium speed.
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake at 350-degrees for 30-40 minutes or until toopick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; stir in rum/oj.
- Cool slightly.
- Using long-tined fork, pierce hot cake in pan at 1-inch intervals; immediately pour syrup over cake.
- Cook cake in pan 15 minutes.
- Invert onto serving plate.
- Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- In small saucepan, heat apricot preserves.
- Press preserves through strainer into bowl to remove large apricot pieces.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.
- Just before serving, fill center of cake with cut-up fruit.