Prep 7 mins
Cook 35 mins
Rice pudding is another comfort food and this is Ina Garten's recipe that she made even better.
- 1⁄4 cup light raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups half-and-half, divided
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the raisins and rum; set aside.
- Combine the rice and salt with 1-1/2 cups water in a medium heavy-bottomed stainless steel saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil, stir once, and simmer, covered on the lowest heat for 8-0 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed.(If your stove is very hot, pull the pan halfway off the burner).
- Stir in 4 cups of half-and-half and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes, until the rice is very soft.
- Stir often, particularly toward the end.
- Slowly stir in the beaten egg and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Off the heat, add the remaining cup of half and half, the vanilla, and then the raisins with any remaining rum; stir well.
- Top with almonds, if desired.
- Pour into a bowl, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Serve warm or chilled.
This is beyond heaven for me. So rich and creamy. I loved it too much. Perfect for the holidays.